2020 City of Happy Valley Mascot TRYOUT INFORMATION
Thank you for your interest and enthusiasm!
- Age 18+
- Must be in good physical condition (able to walk, jog, dance, and engage with public)
- Must be able to engage positively with youth and animals
- Gear: The City will supply the mascot suit and take care of cleaning it and storing it.
If selected, you will be responsible for having comfortable athletic shoes and black leggings.
What does Hap do?
- Attend and interact with attendees at Summer Concerts, seasonal events, and other occasional community gatherings. Hap will also pose for photos and generally be a positive source of joy. Please note: A designated City employee will be assigned as a mascot handler. This staff member will ensure the mascot has support when traversing as well engaging with the public.
- If received well, possible appearances may be possible at community service events, ribbon cuttings, and events coordinated in conjunction with external entities and City partners.
AS A GENERAL RULE, HAP WILL ONLY BE PERMITTED AT APPROVED EVENTS WHERE THE CITY IS PARTICIPATING.
Who is the ideal candidate?
The City is looking for spirited, creative, outgoing, and personable individuals who like Happy Valley and are interested in helping the Community Services team create fun experiences for those who attend community events. This is a volunteer position. Mascots will be provided a food voucher for use during applicable events.
What will I do at Tryouts?
1. Interested individuals should arrive at tryouts on time. Please submit your application by the deadline date, Wednesday, April 22, 2020 by 5pm to City Hall. A City employee will contact you to schedule a time for you to tryout during the audition block. Please be on time for your tryout. *Late applications will be considered however you may not be able to schedule your tryout ahead of time. You are encouraged to participate in the tryouts, but you may need to wait if another applicant is already scheduled when you arrive. Tryouts will close promptly at 6pm.
- Applicants will initially complete a brief interview with a small panel of City staff. This is so the panelists can get to know you better and for you to ask any questions you may have about the program.
- Immediately following the interview, applicants will be asked to perform a 1-minute performance to music. Song selection for 2020 will be Happy by Pharrell Williams. Performances will be impromptu, performed in the mascot suit, and should highlight your creativity, personality, and ability to move. *Please note: Our panelists fully understand this will be the applicant’s first time in the mascot suit. The goal here is to see how well the applicant can adapt and improvise. Applicants will also be evaluated on ability to engage the judging panel as if they were an audience. Music and mascot suit will all be provided. Please wear athletic shoes and clothing you can move in.
*Please note, auditions are closed to the public. Only individual applicants will be permitted in Council Chambers during tryouts.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application to its entirety and turn in to City Hall by deadline of Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 5pm. Materials include: Application, Tryout Risk Waiver, and Code of Conduct
- When contacted by City staff to arrange your tryout time, please respond and show up at your appointment.
- Any questions about the application process can be directed to Communications Specialist, Stephanie Warneke at email@example.com
What if I am selected to fulfill the role of Hap?
If selected and you accept, you will be asked to complete a background check and some additional paperwork.
*Please note: More than one mascot may be chosen. This will help ensure all event dates are covered. At some events, there might be a need for a volunteer to fulfill the role of McGruff the Crime Dog, so this is another opportunity to perform for residents and visitors of the City.
THE FOLLOWING LIST INDICATES EVENTS THE CITY WOULD LIKE TO SCHEDULE AN APPEARANCE BY HAP:
Public Works Appreciation Day
TBD (sometime during week of May 17-23, 2020 in the afternoon)
General Duties: Engage the crowd throughout the event and pose for photos
Summer Concerts in the Valley
Thursdays (July and August)
TIME: TBD evening
General Duties: Engage the crowd throughout concerts, pose for photos, and assist City staff in giving out prizes.
4th of July Family Festival
Saturday, July 4, 2020
TIME: TBD day
General Duties: Walk in the parade, help kick off festival, engage crowd and pose for photos.
National Night Out
Tuesday, August 4, 2020
TIME: TBD evening
General Duties: Engage the crowd at neighborhood block parties and pose for photos.
Harvest & Oktoberfest
Saturday, October 10, 2020
TIME: TBD day
General Duties: Engage the crowd, encourage competitors during the Chicken Dance contest and Dog Races, and pose for photos.
Tree Lighting Ceremony
Sunday, December 6, 2020
General Duties: Engage the crowd and pose for photos.
*Other appearance opportunities may be added to the calendar. If an event becomes available, City staff will ask for mascot availability.