Grocery shopping during the holidays is hardly anybody’s idea of fun. What if you could get out of it, and support a worthy cause at the same time?
On Nov. 16, representatives from Happy Valley Police, Clackamas Fire and North Clackamas School District took part in a Thanksgiving dinner shopping challenge. Each team had five minutes to race through the Happy Valley Fred Meyer, grabbing holiday dinner supplies like turkey, ham, potatoes, green beans, pumpkin pie…you name it. And this year, the total value for both carts nearly reached $2000!
Now it’s time for the public to bid on those carts. Bids will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 17th, when the two winning bids will be announced.
In true holiday spirit, Fred Meyer has donated all food items so every dollar that is brought in through the auction will go directly to the service programs each group is supporting. The First Responders will donate the proceeds from their cart to Operation Santa, Clackamas Fire’s holiday food and toy drive which supports families in need in Clackamas County. The funds collected from the sale of the Principals’ cart will be given to the Wichita Center, a North Clackamas School District program dedicated to student success, that provides food, clothing and hygiene items to students and families.
- Bids will be accepted between 5:00 p.m. on Nov. 16 through 5:00 p.m. on Nov. 17.
- All bids must be posted to the official City of Happy Valley Facebook post to be considered (pinned to the top of our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CityofHappyValley)
- Both carts are up for auction, so include with your bid amount whether you are voting for the Police or Fire’s cart.
- Payment for the cart will need to be cash or a check made out to the corresponding program (Clackamas Emergency Services Foundation or North Clackamas Family Support Center).
- The lucky bidder for each cart can pick up the groceries at the Happy Valley Fred Meyer, or if they live within 20 miles, can opt to have them DELIVERED TO THEIR HOME by the cart’s sponsoring agency in time for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Goods in cart cannot be returned to store in exchange for monetary value
Want to give back, but don’t need the Thanksgiving groceries? Visit www.clackamasfire.com/operation-santa-claus/ for opportunities to support Operation Santa’s donation collection efforts this holiday season or www.nclack.k12.or.us/wichita/page/donation to learn ways to contribute to the Wichita Center.