Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Code Enforcement Department responsible for?

The Code Enforcement Department is responsible for neighborhood preservation, code compliance, erosion control and nuisance abatement while providing sensitive, courteous, and outstanding public service. We are committed to proudly serving our community in a safe, professional, and effective manner.

What does Code Enforcement do?

Code Enforcement investigates and, if needed, enforces the City of Happy Valley’s Municipal Code. The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for investigating complaints, sending out notifications and when necessary, issuing citations. Code Enforcement will also attend neighborhood meetings, give presentations, and address neighborhood problems that may be specific to a given area.

What is a code violation?

A code violation is a condition or situation that is in violation of one or more of the Happy Valley Municipal Codes.

What are the most common types of violations that Code Enforcement deals with?

  • Weeds and noxious growth
  • Debris on private property
  • Branches overhanging streets/sidewalks
  • Vision obstructions at intersections
  • Noise violations
  • Dog control

Can I remain anonymous?

Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed. If this is a concern, you should report the complaint anonymously. If you do not choose to provide your name, address, and/or phone number, the Code Enforcement Department will investigate your report as an anonymous complaint. However, if additional information is required to follow up on the complaint, we can be more effective in our investigation and litigation if you provide a name, address, and/or phone number. A site address of the location of the alleged violation must be provided if the name of the person complaining is not provided. We cannot guarantee anonymity to any complainant that provides a name.

Who do I call for nuisance barking, dogs running loose, or if I have been bitten by a dog?

Contact the City of Happy Valley at (503) 783-3800.

What are the construction hours for the City of Happy Valley?

Construction hours are as follows:

  • Weekdays: 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
  • Weekends: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

Sunday Restrictions – On Sundays, there is to be none of the following:

  • Site clearing
  • Earth moving
  • Installation or construction of underground utilities
  • Paving of streets or sidewalks
  • Foundation framing and pouring
  • Structure framing

Happy Valley Ordinance 97 Sect. 5.033(D)(1). Maximum $500 fine per violation.

How do I register a distressed/vacant property?

All owners of abandoned residential property and vacant foreclosed residential property are obligated to register their property with the City.

Distressed/Vacant Property Registration Form 

Foreclosure Registration Fees
Res. 17-03, effective 1/24/17

The fee schedule begins with the 1st year initial registration and increases each year up to the 4th year. The 5th year thereafter the fee will remain the same annually as year number 4 in each category.


Application Registration Fee 2nd Year Fee 3rd Year Fee 4th Year Fee
Residential $100 $200 $300 $400
Multi-Family $250 $350 $450 $550
Commercial $250 $350 $450 $550
Industrial $250 $350 $450 $550