The City of Happy Valley is One of the fastest growing cities with a population over 10,000 in the State and Portland Metro area.
Source: Portland State University, Population Research Center
Combined with fairly rapid growth rates in the 10-15 years prior to 2005, the responsibilities and land use requirements associated with this type of development activity are a key component of the City’s Planning Division.
In order to create a balanced and environmentally sustainable future that also provides for economic development potential within the City, Community Development and Planning plays an integral role in and facilitates the following:
- Citizen involvement
- Orderly, managed growth
- Legal requirements associated with land use applications and infrastructure needs
- Land use development patterns through implementation of the City’s Comprehensive Plan(s) and Land Development Code while supporting environmental regulations and economic needs.
In the development process, the Planning Division coordinates with the following entities:
- Residential, commercial, industrial and institutional developers and their representatives
- Federal, state, regional and local governmental bodies
- Service providers and private utilities
- Static Zoning Map
- Land Use Zoning Map
- Projects Map
- Aldridge Road Sub-Area Comprehensive Plan
- East Happy Valley Comp Plan Map
- Local Wetland Inventory Map
- Marijuana Retail Sales Zoning Map
- Marijuana Wholesaling, Processing and Production Zoning Map
- Natural Resource/Steep Slopes Overlay Zone Map
- Pleasant Valley-North Carver Comp Plan Boundary Map (DRAFT)
- Rock Creek Comprehensive Plan Map
- To provide professional advice and technical expertise to elected officials, appointed boards and commissions, city departments and citizens to assist in understanding and addressing key community issues and priorities.
- To continue to focus on a long term commitment to economic vitality, environmental integrity, and development design quality through the highest quality master plans, plan implementation and development review.
- To encourage planning principals that promote rational, economical and environmentally efficient use of land, to allow Happy Valley to grow in a manner consistent with the goals of the community.
- To protect the natural environment and the City of Happy Valley’s critical and unique natural resources and to maintain open space via the protection of steep slopes, wetlands and riparian corridors.
- To implement quality development and uses of the land through the application of conscientious design standards and architectural regulations.
- To work with planned integrated land use and transportation plans and subsequent development to maintain the natural beauty of the City of Happy Valley’s hillsides, trails, woodlands and scenic vistas.
- To promote both economic growth and the enhancement of the City of Happy Valley’s quality of life; safe and efficient modes of transportation; and, identification of land suitable for all types of housing for the City of Happy Valley’s current and future residents.