From 2005 through 2008, the City of Happy Valley was the fastest growing city with population over 10,000 in the Portland, Oregon area (Portland State University, Population Research Center). Combined with fairly rapid growth rates in the 10-15 years prior to 2005, the responsibilities and land use requirements associated with this type of development activity are a key component of the City’s Planning Division.
In order to create a balanced and environmentally sustainable future that also provides for economic development potential within the City, Community Development and Planning plays an integral role in and facilitates the following:
- Citizen involvement
- Orderly, managed growth
- Legal requirements associated with land use applications and infrastructure needs
- Land use development patterns through implementation of the City’s Comprehensive Plan(s) and Land Development Code while supporting environmental regulations and economic needs.
In the development process, the Planning Division coordinates with the following entities:
- Residential, commercial, industrial and institutional developers and their representatives
- Federal, state, regional and local governmental bodies
- Service providers and private utilities