Tree Cutting Ordinance

Tree Cutting Permits

If you are planning to remove a tree whose trunk diameter is greater than 6 inches, you are required to obtain a permit before doing any work. The permit you need is determined by the type of project you are undertaking.

Type A Permit: This permit is required for tree removal within a residential zone that is occupied by a single-family dwelling, where a maximum of three trees is being identified for removal.

Type B Permit: This permit applies to industrial or commercial zones, unimproved residential parcels, open spaces, or any time more than three trees are requested to be removed. (See tree replacement requirement below)

*Authorized tree removal contractors are required to have a Happy Valley Business license.

Once you have submitted your application, the City will notify you if your application is approved. You are allowed to apply for one permit every year unless you have an emergency or special circumstance. Trees within the building envelope of a proposed structure may be exempted from tree removal fees at the discretion of the City.

Tree Replacement Requirement

Tree replacement is required for Type B tree permits on the same property, an approved alternate public property in the City, or a financial contribution to the City’s “Tree Bank”.