Community Center Feasibility Study
For over a decade, residents of Happy Valley have asked for a community center. A place to work out, take classes, gather with friends, and maybe even swim. Following the City’s withdrawal from NCPRD, completing a community center feasibility was identified as one of the City Council’s top priorities. In 2021, the City hired a consultant team to assist with the evaluation of a potential community center. This has included community surveys, focus group meetings with key stakeholders, a market analysis, and more.
Currently, the City has convened a Steering Committee made up of residents active in the community. The committee has met multiple times to advise the City on the size of the center and the types of amenities that should be included.
Community Center Steering Committee Recommendation
Based on the collective input, the Community Center Steering Committee made a set of recommendations.
What amenities should be prioritized?
- Indoor Recreation Pool
- Double Court Gymnasium
- Indoor Walk/Jog Track
- Group Exercise Room
- Weight/Cardio Space
- 200 Person Community Room + Kitchen
- Reservable room for gatherings (i.e. celebrations, meetings, etc.)
- Develop a conceptual design/plan for a community center
- Continue efforts to purchase property for a future community center
- Develop a Financial Analysis/Strategy
- Seek additional input via a community survey with information about the potential costs and tax impacts
- Possible additional Steering Committee discussions
- Parks Advisory Committee Review and Recommendation
- City Council Direction
February 23, 2022
December 15, 2021
October 25, 2021
“Members of the City Council possibly constituting a quorum may attend the Community Center Steering Committee. The Council will not deliberate towards nor make a decision”.
Steering Committee Members
Doris (Dee) Bedsole