People experiencing houselessness, mental illness, or substance abuse are becoming more prevalent in the Portland Metro area. In response, the City of Happy Valley and Happy Valley Police continue to work on solutions to address these types of concerns in our community. This includes connecting people with resources that might be beneficial and providing general education to our greater community. Both Happy Valley Police deputies and members of the Code Enforcement’s Community Service Officer team undergo specialized training to address residents and visitors to the City who may be struggling or in personal crisis.  The Public Safety Team offers compassion while establishing healthy boundaries to ensure a balanced approach that prioritizes understanding and empathy and maintaining a secure, respectful environment.


In the City of Happy Valley, temporary camping is only permitted in areas of public right-of-way between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. Temporary camping is also strictly limited to commercial and industrial zones, where vehicles do not travel. Temporary camps must be located more than 100ft. from a residential area and more than 1,000ft. from a school. All persons camping temporarily MUST comply with all laws and regulations.

This includes:

  • No alcohol or drugs
  • No littering
  • No public urination or defecation
  • No public nuisance behaviors *includes use of fireworks, open burning, and noise violations



The City of Happy Valley proudly partners with Bybee Lakes Hopes Center. This trauma-informed, person-centered facility focuses on offering a therapeutic healing space for those experiencing houselessness.

A referral-only facility, the Hope Center serves men, women, and families with children. It includes an array of services relating to addiction recovery, life-skills, job search assistance, and healthcare. Those interested in accessing services can call the Hope Center’s office at (971) 333-5070 for more information.


When to call law enforcement

Residents are encouraged to contact the police when they observe situations involving houseless individuals that pose a potential threat to public safety, involve criminal activities, or require immediate assistance. Emergencies, such as instances of violence, substance use, or suspected criminal behavior, warrant an immediate call to police. Additionally, if residents encounter houseless individuals who may be in distress, have erected camp in an area not permitted for temporary camping, showing signs of medical emergencies, or are in need of social services, it is appropriate to speak up. Collaboration between residents and law enforcement ensures a collective effort in addressing concerns and maintaining a supportive environment for everyone.

Call 9-1-1 if there is immediate life-threatening activity or a crime in progress. Call non-emergency dispatch at 503-655-8211 for all other safety reporting.

A list of additional resources and services pertaining to basic needs and care can be found here.